Reconstruction of dental, oral, and craniofacial (DOC) tissues through tissue engineering and regenerative medicine (RM) is a major goal in dentistry. Despite the continuing success and commercial viability of RM approaches in selected areas of medicine, the application of RM concepts to DOC problems has not been well-implemented in clinical practice. To meet this need, the Michigan-Pittsburgh-Wyss Regenerative Medicine Resource Center (MPWRM RC) was established as an interdisciplinary partnership amongst the University of Michigan, the University of Pittsburgh, and the Wyss Institute, along with technology, clinical, regulatory, marketing, and commercial translation experts from private practice and industry. Through this collaborative effort, we will accelerate clinical adoption of promising technologies by providing the interdisciplinary expertise and resources to guide technologies towards FDA submissions.
MPWRM Resource Center Organizational Chart.
With the ITP Project Teams as integral components of the MPWRM Resource Center, our organizational structure will promote a collaborative and interdisciplinary technology translation towards clinical adoption.
MPWRM Resource Center Leadership
- Steering Committee will direct overall effort for the Resource Center and the ITPs
- MPWRM Resource Center Operating Committee will provide leadership and advice to the MPWRM PIs regarding progress and direction of MPWRM Resource Center
ITP Project Teams
- ITP PIs and teams (laboratory personnel, staff), in conjunction with preexisting Home Institution or Company Support will work closely with MPWRM Resource Center Cores to develop technology translation strategies and execute project plans
Customized ITP Support from MPWRM Resource Center
- Teams (boxes with white border) comprised of Resource Center subject matter experts, are categorized by activity: Consultative (in blue; provides expertise and advice to ITP Project Teams) or Core (in grey; provides deliverables/ performs work with ITP Project Team). The activities of most teams extend across both Consultative and Core Activities of Commercial Translation/ Future Clinical Adoption team spans across activities of all Consultative and Core Teams
- Scientific Cores at each of the 3 institutions provide technical services for ITPs. Some of the Consultative teams also support Scientific Core activities, as depicted by overlap into the Scientific Core (dark grey). Scientific Cores also collaborate with external Contract Research Services/ Support
- Activities and communication throughout the RC will be supported by Project Management Team
The MPWRM Resource Center is a partnership with NIH’s National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research
The mission of the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR) is to improve dental, oral, and craniofacial health through research, research training, and the dissemination of health information. We accomplish our mission by:
- Performing and supporting basic, translational, and clinical research;
- Conducting and funding research training and career development programs to ensure an adequate number of talented, well-prepared, and diverse investigators;
- Coordinating and assisting relevant research and research-related activities among all sectors of the research community;
- Promoting the timely transfer of knowledge gained from research and its implications for health to the public, health professionals, researchers, and policy-makers.
To learn more about NIDCR please connect to: https://www.nidcr.nih.gov/
The MPWRM Resource Center is supported in part by the National Institute of Dental & Craniofacial Research of the National Institutes of Health under Award Number U24DE029462. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.